Black Channa Kabab | Veg Shami Kebab | Less Oil, Healthy & Tasty | Kala Channa Tikki
How to make Black Chana Kabab | Veg Shami Kebab | Less Oil, Healthy & Tasty | Kala Channa Tikki with detailed snaps and step-by-step procedure.
Black Channa Kabab is a thin vegetarian patty made out of black chickpeas and other flavourful spices. It is a vegetarian version of Shami kabab which includes 'no meat chunks' and 'no eggs'. Having said that, this Kabab imitates the taste of non-veg kabab with no cutbacks in the taste and flavour part.
Black Chana or Chickpeas is known for its high protein & iron content which also carries vital vitamins & minerals needed to keep our heart healthy. Though many options are available to include black chana in our daily diet, Black Chana Kabab is a delicious & healthy way that serves as a party snack, evening snack or even as the best starter recipe.
The perfectly boiled chickpeas along with other handy flavourful spices when blended & cooked to perfection pave the right path for the outer crisp & inner soft ultra-delicious chickpea kabab. After trials with a few variations in the making process, I come up with this procedure that never fails to yield the yummy kabab that we always want.
Though the ingredients used are very basic, the taste achieved would wonder your palate, for sure. Any side dips like tamarind sauce, tomato ketchup or green chutney would pair well with this delicious kebab. And, here lies a few tricks to get the perfect kebab every time you make it.
Dos and Don'ts:
- Never forget to completely drain off water from the cooked chana. You could boil the chana ahead, store it in the fridge, and use it while preparing the kebab.
- While blending the ingredients, make sure you do not add any water to them.
- Grind the mixture little by little and end up with the semi-coarse paste. The little chunks of black chickpeas here & there would add a nice texture & taste to the chana kebab recipe.
- Though thick patties are also good, I personally feel like thin patties are great to eat. So, make the patties as thin as possible.
- Pan-frying the kebabs in the ghee adds more flavour & taste to the kebab. I use oil + ghee that works really good.
- By any chance, if the blended mixture turns gooey, add rice flour & knead it into a non-sticky dough. Adding rice flour helps to make the outer layer crispy.
Since black chickpeas, potato, and besan acts as the binding agent, there won't be any chance of messy broken kebab. If the chickpeas are soaked & boiled ahead, making Black Chana Kabab is not at all a hectic job.
So, what's unique in my making of Black Chana Kebab?
The whole spices like cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom & cloves are sauteed in the oil that helps to seep out their flavour and make the kebabs very delicious & flavoursome.
So, the ultra-delicious, super-healthy, fully-flavoursome, vegetarian version of Black Chickpea Kebab would surely make the people say 'WOW' at the moment they start to munch on it.
Have you tried this recipe?
If so, take a snap & tag '@packthesnack_' on Instagram.
An ultra-delicious, outer-crisp, soft inside thin patties prepared out of cooked black chickpeas and other flavoursome spices.
Black Channa Kabab
- Black Chickpeas - 1 cup
- Water - 1/2 inch above the surface
- Crystal salt - 1/2 tbsp
- Boiled Black Chickpeas - 1 cup
- Boiled potato - 1 (medium-sized)
- Oil - 1 tsp (for sauteeing) + 1 tsp (for pan-frying)
- Ghee - 1 tsp (for pan-frying)
- Cinnamon - 1-inch stick
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamom - 3
- Black peppercorns - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Dried red chillies - 2
- Green chilly - 1
- Onion - 1 (medium-sized)
- Crystal salt - 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Amchoor powder - 1/2 tsp
- Besan flour - 1 tbsp
- Rice flour - 2 tbsp
- Mint leaves - 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Boil the black chickpeas and drain them off completely.
- Boil one medium-sized potato, peel it off & get it ready!
- Saute cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, pepper and cumin seeds in a little oil.
- Add dried red chillies & green chilli as well.
- Add ginger, garlic & onion and saute until the onions turn semi-translucent.
- Season with a little salt, and add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder & dry mango powder.
- Add a cup of boiled chickpeas.
- Also, mash the boiled potato and add it to the pan.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder, and chickpea flour.
- Mix well, and turn off the flame. Let the mixture cool down completely.
- Transfer to a mixer jar, and grind into a semi-coarse paste.
- To the prepared paste, add rice flour, chopped coriander & chopped mint leaves, and mix well.
- Knead to form a non-sticky soft dough.
- Grease hands with little oil, and make thin patties out of the dough.
- Add a little oil to the pan, and fry both sides of the kabab until golden brown.
- Serve Black Chana Kabab with green chutney and Tamarind Chutney.
Stay Connected on YouTube, Facebook & Instagram(@packthesnack_)!
Step-by-Step Procedure with Pictures
How to Make?
How to Cook Black Chana:
- Take a cup of Black Chana in a bowl.
- Wash them thoroughly.
- Soak them with enough water for about 8 hours.
- Transfer the chana to the pressure cooker.
- Add salt to the soaked chana.
- Make sure the water is half an inch above the surface of the chana.
- Pressure cook the chana for 6 whistles.
- Let the cooker depressurize naturally. Drain the water completely. The chana is cooked very well.
How to Make Black Chana Kabab:
- To a pan, add a teaspoon of oil.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
- Add a quarter teaspoon of black peppercorns.
- Add a teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Add 2 dried red chillies.
- Add a green chilli to the oil.
- Add half-inch ginger piece and four cloves of garlic.
- Saute them for a while.
- Now, add the chopped onion.
- Also, add half a teaspoon of salt.
- Saute until the onions turn translucent.
- Now, add in the spice powders.
- Mix well, and turn off the flame.
- Transfer the mixture to a jar once it has cooled down completely. Grind into a semi-coarse paste.
- Add 2 tablespoons of rice flour to the mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chopped mint leaves.
- Also, add 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves.
- Knead into a soft non-sticky dough.
- Grease the hands with little oil. Take a small portion of the dough and roll it into a ball.
- Flatten the ball and seal the cracks at the edges to make a thin patty.
- To a pan, add oil + ghee.
- Pan-fry the Kebab. Cook for 2 minutes on one side.
- Once the golden brown colour is seen, flip the kebab, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- The Black Chana Kebabs are ready to be eaten with green chutney and tamarind chutney.
- Boil black chana ahead and use them while making Kebab. This makes the work much easier.
Healthy! Tasty! Starter Snack!