Fresh Turmeric Pickle Recipe | with Unique Pickle Mix Powder
Turmeric is an attractive yellow-tinted root and a well-known medicinal herb that acts as a primary spice in all the Indian kitchens. Many Indian dishes are incomplete without the involvement of turmeric, isn't it? Also, the Pickles that are served as a condiment for lunch are hardly inseparable from the Indian culture. Can you ever think of Pickling the fresh Turmeric roots? What do you think of making the super-popular Indian condiment 'Pickle' using the powerful spice king 'Turmeric'?
Yes, Today's post is all about Pickling the fresh Turmeric roots. The fresh & unique flavour of the Turmeric roots along with the Special Pickle powder made from a slathered bowl of medicinal spices are more than enough to say about this magical pickle.
Needless to say, Turmeric pickle has loads of health benefits which include skin, body, and mental health. The Curcumin present in the turmeric root makes it a king in the medicinal world. However, Curcumin is hard to absorb by our body. That's why we use Black Pepper in the recipe. The Piperine present in the Black pepper helps the body to absorb Curcumin that in turn lends lots of medicinal benefits. Adding very little turmeric powder to any dish may probably not bring up its benefits. But, this turmeric pickle recipe can benefit good health for sure.
Health Benefits of Turmeric:
- Rich in antioxidants and helps reduce the ageing effect.
- Boosts memory level and attention by boosting the level of the brain hormone BDNF (Brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor).
- It has anti-inflammatory property that helps in curing wounds.
- It helps reduce the risk of heart disease.
- It is an effective depression reliever.
Along with the health-packed fresh turmeric roots, the goodness of ginger roots and garlic pods also plays a big part in the game. The special thing is the unique pickle mix that makes the pickle so special in the way it should be. Eager to know the ingredients in the Spice Mix? Come, let's dive into it.
What makes the Pickle Mix so special & aromatic?
Fennel Seeds/Sombu - An aromatic seed that plays an active role in digestion and immunity-building.
Nigella seeds/Kalonji/Karunjeeragam - A tiny black seed that speaks with its bold flavour. We call it a 'seed of blessing' as it is packed with antioxidants.
Black Pepper/Milagu - a heat lending spice that also controls cough & cold and stimulates digestion.
Fenugreek Seeds - nutty flavoured seeds that help to cool down the body.
Cloves - powerful spice that aids digestion, relieves stress and boosts immunity.
Mustard seeds - a nutty flavoured seed that lends bone strength, and aids digestion.
Notedly, all the ingredients used in the Turmeric Pickle are packed with a good amount of antioxidants that are fairly enough to heal us from any disease. Along with this healthy and aromatic blend of spices, we add red chilli powder & green chillies for the extra heat, and lemon juice for the perfect punch in the taste of the pickle.
- The turmeric roots, ginger roots, and garlic can be chopped very finely or cut into strips as per your desire. The bigger the pieces are, the more time it would take to get them infused with the pickle.
Even a small tactic can make a big difference in the taste. So, let's take a glance at what to do and what not to do.
Do's and Don'ts:
- The whole spices have to be dry roasted on a low flame to seep out their flavour.
- The spice mix may get burned and ruin the taste of the pickle if it is sauteed in the hot oil for a long time. So, mix very quickly for about 5 to 10 seconds, and add the next ingredient immediately.
- The chopped turmeric, ginger, and garlic are introduced to the flame
just for about 2 to 3 minutes in such a way that the pickle mix is
well-infused, and the crunchiness is still protected. The ingredients should not be cooked for a long time.
- Do not add lemon juice to the pickle when it is hot. Doing so could make the pickle tastes bitter. So, cool down the pickle completely before adding the lemon juice.
- Rest the pickle for at least 20 days to enjoy the real taste of the turmeric pickle.
- The pickle should be stored in a clean and dry container to increase its shelf life.
Furthermore, we use Mustard oil in the recipe. Mustard oil could be replaced by Gingelly oil. The more time the ingredients are rested, the more taste we can experience with the turmeric pickle. At least rest the pickle for 20 days before you start to use it. Having said that, Pickled Turmeric can be enjoyed immediately as well.
- Turmeric pickle keeps well for more than 6 months if stored in a clean & dry air-tight container, preferably a glass container.
- The pickle can be refrigerated and stored for a year long.
What are you waiting for? If you get a bunch of fresh turmerics, try your hands on this spicy & healthful Turmeric pickle recipe.
Have you tried this recipe?
If so, take a snap & tag '@packthesnack_' on Instagram.
A spicy, aromatic & health-filled pickle prepared using fresh turmeric roots, tender ginger and garlic with unique spice mix powder.
Fresh Turmeric Pickle
- Fennel seeds - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Nigella seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cloves - 5
- Asafoetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 2 & 1/2 tbsp
- Crystal salt - 2 tbsp
For Turmeric Pickle:
- Fresh Turmeric - 1 cup (peeled & chopped)
- Ginger - 1/3 cup (peeled & chopped)
- Garlic - 1/3 cup (peeled & chopped)
- Green chillies - 1/4 cup (chopped)(optional)
- Mustard oil - 1/3 cup (or Gingelly oil)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Peel and chop turmeric root, ginger root, and garlic. Cut them into strips or chop them finely as per your wish.
- Dry roast fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, black pepper, nigella seeds, and cloves until they turn flavourful.
- Transfer the dry roasted ingredients into a mixer jar.
- Add hing, salt, and red chilli powder to the same mixer jar and grind to get an aromatic pickle mix powder.
- To a pan, add 1/3 cup of mustard oil. You can use Gingelly oil as well.
- Add a teaspoon of mustard seeds, and let them pop.
- Add the spice powder to the oil, and mix quickly.
- Add the chopped turmeric, ginger, and garlic to the oil. Mix for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped green chillies (if adding). Mix for about a minute.
- Flame off and cool the pickle completely.
- Add half a cup of lemon juice to the pickle and mix.
- Rest the pickle for 20 minutes to get the juice absorbed by the pickle.
- Store in a dry air-tight container, and rest for at least 20 days before consumption. The pickle can be enjoyed immediately as well.
Stay Connected on YouTube, Facebook & Instagram(@packthesnack_)!
Step-by-Step Procedure with Pictures
How to Make?
Making of Pickle Spice Mix:
- Add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of nigella seeds/kalonji.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of black peppercorns.
- Add 5 cloves now.
- Dry roast all the spices until they turn aromatic.
- Transfer the dry roasted ingredients to a mixer jar.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida/Hing to the mixer jar.
- Add 2 & 1/2 tbsp of red chilli powder now. If you don't want the pickle to be very spicy, kindly reduce the quantity.
- Add 2 tbsp of crystal salt now.
- Grind everything together to make a fine powder.
- The aromatic Pickle spice mix is ready now!
Making of Turmeric Pickle:
- Take 150 grams of fresh turmeric root. If you wash, peel, and chop the turmeric roots, it would make up for 1 cup. Add it to a bowl.
- Take 50 grams of Garlic and chop it. You could measure 1/3 cup of chopped garlic instead. Add the chopped garlic to the chopped turmeric.
- Take 50 grams of Ginger. The peeled and chopped ginger should make for 1/3 cup. Choose tender ginger for the best taste. Add them to the bowl.
- Take a pan, and add 1/3 cup of mustard oil. If you want more oil in the pickle, you can increase the oil up to 1/2 cup. Also, Gingelly oil can be used in the place of Mustard oil.
- Add a teaspoon of mustard seeds to the shimmering oil, and let them splutter.
- Add the prepared spice mix powder to the oil.
- Mix very quickly so that the spice powders should not get burned in the oil.
- Add the chopped turmeric, ginger, and garlic to the oil.
- Mix and cook for 2 minutes. Do not overcook as the crunchiness of the veggies may vanish.
- Add the chopped green chillies now. I took 8 big-sized, less-spicy chillies for the pickle. You can skip adding green chillies.
- Cook for a minute.
- Flame off and cool the pickle completely.
- Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice to the pickle, and mix well.
- Rest the turmeric pickle for about 20 minutes. By this time, the pickle absorbs the lemon juice.
- Store the pickle in a clean and dry air-tight container.
- Rest the pickle for at least 20 days to enjoy the real taste of the Turmeric pickle.
- The fresh turmeric roots tend to stain your hands and the chopping board. So, you could wear gloves and avoid using a white chopping board as a preventive measure.
- You could choose tender ginger for the best taste.
- Adjust the heat by reducing red chilli powder or green chillies. Do not skip black peppercorns as Piperin present in them help the body to absorb Curcumin present in the Turmeric.
- The more days the pickle gets rested, the more taste it would tend to lend.
Such a new kind of Fantastic pickle with turmeric...Really its very appreciative..ReplyDelete
சூப்பர் மஞ்சள் ஊறுகாய்.. different pickle👍🥰ReplyDelete