Hot Milk Gulkand Cake | Whole Wheat Gulkand Cupcake | Two ways | Steamed & Baked Cupcakes | Healthy Gulkand Cake
How to make Hot Milk Gulkand Cake | Whole Wheat Gulkand Cupcake | Two ways | Steamed & Baked Cupcakes | Healthy Gulkand Cake with detailed steps and step-by-step procedure.
What could be more comfortable than cooking with loads of love? The good food cooked with a heart full of love would be the best gift we offer to our loved ones, isn't it? Valentine's day would be the right day to showcase our love for the loved ones. The one way that I pick to expose my love is through special food, especially special love desserts 💓. As you know, Packthesnack is no new to such creative love desserts.
Explore more Love Recipes from Packthesnack:
A few months back, one of my sweet Aunt couriered me a big bag of fresh & sweet smelled rose petals, and I transformed them into lip-smacking Rose Petal Jam/Gulkand. From the day I prepared Gulkand, I thought of trying something special with it. Finally, the day has arrived and the special recipe that I come up with is nothing but Hot Milk Gulkand CupCake.
To make the recipe less tricky, I simplified the preparation process in such a way that it yields a great result. Also, I put my hands on experimenting Steamed version to make it much easy to be prepared by those who don't own an oven, and those who don't have hands-on experience with baking recipes.
Both my Steamed and Baked versions are a great success with no change in the taste yet showcasing different looks. The heart-shaped, eye-catching, lovable cupcakes would be the best surprise gift for loved ones that will make the day more special. These cute little heart cakes are not only delicious but also very healthy with the health benefits of Gulkand.
True to say, the making process is pretty much easy. Since most of the ingredients go into the hot milk, only the spatula is needed to mix the flour with the hot milk mixture. Also, the Steamed Version comes in handy as the cakes can be steamed to perfection in just 10 minutes (in the time we prepare Idli!😇)
Ingredients and What do they do?
Whole Wheat Flour:
- The healthy substitute for Maida is Whole Wheat flour. The very first recipe that I learned from my mom must be the cake with wheat flour. From my school days, I have been baking with wheat flour, and trust me guys, it never let me down. And surely, it would never let you down as well.
- Hot milk makes the cake very soft.
- Make sure not to add the boiling milk directly to the flour. The milk should be hot to touch while adding to the flour.
- Gulkand adds taste, flavour as well as health benefits to the cake.
- Most brands preserve rose petals with sugar. So, I recommend Homemade Gulkand with Honey. The recipe for sun-cooked Gulkand and Instant Gulkand was posted already in my blog.
- The butter gives richness to the cake. As we add melted butter, we get perfect grainy texture in the cakes (like pudding cakes!).
- Eggs tend to give structure to the cakes. The eggs can be substituted with curd for the Eggless version of Gulkand Cake.
The Hot Milk Gulkand Cake excels in everything, be it the texture, taste, shape or look. Get ready to make these special & healthy heart cupcakes, and surprise your sweet ones on this valentines day. I have shared two versions of Gulkand cake here, Steamed and Baked.
- This needs just 10 minutes to get fully done.
- Also, no need for an oven and no need for pre-heating, of course.
- The only thing that should be done is to wrap the Idli pan lid with a clean cloth. Since steaming makes the cake messy, it is important to wrap the lid with the cloth during steaming to avoid messy cupcakes.
- So, just in the time of preparing Idli, these cute cupcakes could be made possible.
- These cupcakes are so moist, soft and grainy with no brown layers on top and bottom.
- Baking could be done on an oven or stove-top.
- With the baking setup, these cupcakes show off a brownish surface with the perfect heart shape in 20 to 25 minutes.
- These cupcakes are also moist, very soft and grainy in texture with the perfect taste that we exactly want.
Both the versions yield the same softness, texture, and taste with change in appearance. Choose whatever version you feel comfortable with, prepare, and enjoy with your loved ones.
Any Substitute for Homemade Rose Syrup?
If you don't have homemade rose syrup at home, replace it with rosewater or rose essence. Two teaspoons of rose syrup can be substituted with 1 tsp of rosewater or 1/2 tsp of rose essence.
- These Hot Milk Gulkand Cupcakes can be made eggless by substituting eggs with curd.
- Two eggs mentioned in the recipe can be substituted with 1/4 cup of curd. Whisk the curd well and follow the remaining steps to end up with the best Eggless Gulkand cake.
Avoid these Common Mistakes:
- Do not boil the milk. The milk should be hot to touch while adding to the flour mixture.
- Avoid mixing the cake batter vigorously. This may make the cake dense.
- Do not add all the flour at once. This may make the mixing process difficult.
- While baking or steaming, do not open the lid or door of the oven often. The sudden temperature change may cause deflation in the cupcakes.
Furthermore, I add homemade rose syrup in which beetroot juice is added for the deep pink colour. While baking, the colour of the beetroot fades away, and the cakes show off a yellowish tint. One more thing to note is that rock candy can be substituted with Jaggery powder. Though a slight change in the taste is noticed, we gotta get equally good textured, soft cupcakes with Jaggery powder.
Shelf-Life of Hot Milk Gulkand Cupcakes:
- They stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature when cooled completely and stored properly in an air-tight container.
So, the buttery, grainy, moist & soft, heart-shaped, gulkand-flavoured, healthy hot milk cupcakes must be the best of best that wins everybody's hearts with the rich and lovely taste. What are you waiting for? The simplified yet rich-tasting Gulkand cake with two versions are here just for you.
Have you tried this recipe?
If so, take a snap & tag '@packthesnack_' on Instagram.
⏲ Baking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
The very healthy, delicious, moist & soft, heart-shaped, easy-to-make, gulkand-flavoured, hot milk cupcakes that can be either steamed or baked to perfection.
Hot Milk Gulkand Cake
- Add milk to a pan, and heat it.
- Add rock candy, butter, gulkand, and rose syrup to the milk.
- Stir until the butter and the rock candy melts, and the milk turns very hot.
- Turn off and let the hot milk gulkand mixture sits for a while.
- Add two eggs to the mixing bowl, and whisk well.
- Add whole wheat flour, and baking powder to the colander, and sift half of the flour mixture into the mixing bowl.
- Also, add half of the hot milk gulkand mixture to the mixing bowl.
- Mix using the cut and fold technique.
- Sift the remaining flour into the mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining hot milk gulkand mixture into the same mixing bowl.
- Mix again using the cut and fold technique until no lumps are seen.
- Make the butter paper cup into a heart shape and fill the cups up to 2/3rd portion.
- Place marble or channa near the creased edge to prevent it from any change in the heart shape while baking.
- Top the cupcakes with almonds.
- For Oven Baking, Preheat the oven to 180-degree Celcius, and bake the cakes for 18 to 22 minutes at the same temperature.
- For stove-top baking, preheat sand or salt for 10 minutes on high flame, and then bake the cakes for 20 to 25 minutes over medium-high flame.
- For the Steamed version, heat some water in the idly pan.
- Place the cupcakes over the Idiyppam plate, and steam-cook them for 10 minutes with the lid wrapped with some clean cloth.
- Cool the cupcakes completely, and enjoy them!
Stay Connected on YouTube, Facebook & Instagram(@packthesnack_)!
Step-by-Step Procedure with Pictures
How to Make?
- Add 3/4 cup of boiled milk to a pan. I use cow's milk for the recipe. You can use full-fat milk if available.
- Add 3/4 cup of crushed rock candy to the pan. The rock candy can be replaced with Jaggery powder.
- Add 1/4 cup of butter to the pan. The butter starts to melt once added to the hot milk.
- Add 2 tsp of rose syrup to the milk. If the rose syrup is not available, you can add 1 tsp of rosewater or 1/2 tsp of rose essence.
- Add 1/4 cup of Gulkand to the milk.
- Stir until the butter and the rock candy melts, and the milk turns very hot. Turn off the flame, and let the hot milk sit for a while.
- In the mixing bowl, add two eggs. Whisk the eggs very well until foamy.
- To the colander, add 1&1/2 cups of whole wheat.
- Also add 1&1/4 tsp of baking powder.
- Sift half of the flour mixture into the mixing bowl.
- Also, add half of the hot milk gulkand mixture into the mixing bowl.
- Mix gently with a spatula using the cut and fold technique.
- Now, sift the remaining flour mixture into the mixing bowl.
- Also, add the remaining hot milk gulkand mixture into the mixing bowl.
- Again, mix gently with a spatula using the cut and fold method. Do not over mix the cake batter. Just mix until no lumps are seen in the cake batter.
- Make a crease inwards on one edge of the butter paper cup in such a way that the heart shape is formed.
- Place all the creased butter paper cups over the muffin tray or silicone cups or baking cups. Now, fill the butter paper cups with the cake batter up to the 2/3rd portion.
- Place marble or channa in the baking cup or mould outside the creased side of the butter paper cup to avoid change in the heart shape.
- Top all the cupcakes with almonds.
- Preheat the oven to 180-degree Celcius. Bake the cupcakes for 18 to 22 minutes at 180-degree Celcius.
- If you bake on the stove-top, preheat the sand or salt over high flame for 10 minutes. Place the baking tray over the stand, and bake the cakes for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat some water in the idly pan.
- Arrange the cupcake moulds over the Idiyappam plate.
- Place the plate over the boiling water.
- Wrap the lid of the idly pan with some clean cloth to avoid leakage of water over the cakes while steaming.
- Allow the cakes to get steamed for 10 minutes over medium-high flame.
- Insert the skewer after 10 minutes, and check for the doneness of the cake. If the skewer inserted comes out clean, it means that the cakes are steamed to perfection.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- The best gulkand heart cupcakes are ready to be served!
- Do not overmix the batter as the cupcakes may turn dense.
- Make sure the milk mixture is not too hot and not too warm while added to the flour. The milk should be just hot to touch.
- Do not open the lid of the pan or door of the oven often since the abrupt change in temperature could deflate the cupcakes.