Muskmelon/ Kirni/ Kharbooja Ice cream with JAGGERY | No Fresh Cream, No Condensed Milk, No White Sugar
Muskmelon - a cooling summer fruit for the hot summer with an amazing assortment of nutrients. Cool! This Vitamin-C rich fruit not only boosts the immune system but also relieves you from stress, indigestion, constipation and dehydration. Longing for glowing skin and silky hair? Yes! Again. Muskmelon does its best part to favour your wish.
The most popular recipes out of Muskmelon which is also known as Kirni fruit in many places are mostly beverages that beat the hotness of the Summer. Whenever I cross the very well-ripened Muskmelon, the sweet fruity flavour of the fruit lets me think like 'why shouldn't I try Ice cream with this naturally super flavourful fruit'.
Wait a minute? We can't just proceed without knowing the bitter truth. The muskmelon when combined with milk may develop a bitter taste sometimes because of some reaction happening between them. So, how can we avoid that?
Things to Know before making Muskmelon Ice cream:
- Some Muskmelons would taste bitter naturally. The bitter-tasting muskmelon when pureed would bold the bitterness which gets bolder when adding to the milk. So, taste the muskmelon as the first step before making any dishes and choose a well-ripened muskmelon that has no bitter taste in it.
- Before adding muskmelon puree to the milk, make sure the sweetened milk mixture is not hot or even warm. The milk mixture should be kept cold or at room temperature to prevent the development of bitterness.
What's Special in my version of Muskmelon Icecream?
No White Sugar:
- Instead of White Sugar, the Jaggery powder is used as the sweetener in the recipe for health sake. The Jaggery pairs very well with the muskmelon and the Ice cream tastes very yummy.
No Fresh cream & No Condensed milk:
- As no fresh cream and no condensed milk are used, I use full-fat milk in this recipe. Scraping down the Malai sediments from the sides of the pan helps in making the ice cream creamy.
As I'm happy with the result of creamy ice cream even without fresh cream, I skip adding fresh cream in my recipe. If you want, you can add fresh cream white beating the refrigerated sweetened milk plus muskmelon puree mixture.
Furthermore, the mouth-melting homemade Muskmelon Ice cream melts very soon than the one you buy from shops. So, scoop out and enjoy as soon as you get it away from the fridge. For a full muskmelon and a litre of full-fat milk, I got more than a kilogram of Ice cream. But, you know? It got over within a day by the cute kiddos at our home.
I'm really happy and glad to share this healthy Ice cream post on my blog. The ultimate fruity, sweet Ice cream should be beaten twice or thrice to get the creaminess. As muskmelon is a fruit with more water content, the teeny-tiny ice pieces are most commonly seen in the ice cream if not beaten twice or more than that. I had beaten and refrigerate the ice cream twice and got the perfectly creamy ice cream. If the ice pieces are still seen, beat one more time and it should be perfect.
⏲ Cooking Time: 20 minutes
The creamy, yummy, fruity and healthy ice cream prepared with milk, jaggery and muskmelon.
Muskmelon/ Kirni/ Kharbooja Ice cream with JAGGERY
- Full-fat milk - 4&1/2 cups (1-litre)
- Muskmelon - 1
- Corn flour - 2 tbsp
- Jaggery Powder - 1 cup
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- Bring 4 cups of milk to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Scrape down the sides when the milk is boiling.
- Add in the jaggery powder and stir to dissolve.
- Mix cornflour with half a cup of milk and add to the boiling sweetened milk.
- Stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- When the mixture turns thick but still runny, turn off the stove and cool down the milk mixture completely.
- Puree a full muskmelon after discarding the skin and seeds.
- Mix cooled down milk mixture, muskmelon puree and vanilla extract and refrigerate until set.
- Beat the refrigerated ice cream in a mixer jar and refrigerate again until set.
- Repeat beating and refrigerating the ice cream until the ice cream turns completely creamy.
- Once ready, scoop out, garnish with chopped dry fruits, and get yourself melted in the creaminess of the yummy ice cream.
Stay Connected on YouTube, Facebook & Instagram(@packthesnack_)!
Step-by-Step Procedure with Pictures
How to Make?
- Pour 4 cups of full-fat milk into a pan and bring to boil. As no fresh cream and no condensed milk is used in the recipe, it is highly suggested to use full-fat milk.
- Once it comes to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the Jaggery powder and stir well to dissolve. You can add 3/4 cup to 1 cup of jaggery powder based on your taste preference. I add a cup of jaggery powder.
- Scrape down the sides often. The milk when boiling is supposed to sediment Malai along the sides of the pan. Mixing that Malai with the milk makes the Ice cream creamier.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of cornflour with half a cup of milk, and add it to the boiling milk.
- Stir constantly to avoid the formation of lumps. When the mixture turns thick but runny, turn off the stove.
- Cooldown the sweetened milk completely.
- Take a muskmelon which should be well-ripened without any traces of bitterness in it.
- Make slices, remove the seeds and add the fleshy part alone to the mixer jar.
- Grind to make a muskmelon puree.
- Transfer the cooled down sweetened milk mixture to a freezing bowl.
- Add in the muskmelon puree. Keep in mind, the milk should be completely cooled down before adding the muskmelon puree.
- Add in the vanilla extract for the ice creamy flavour. You could replace the extract with cardamom powder if you want.
- Mix well to combine the ingredients.
- Refrigerate the ice cream for 4 to 5 hours or until completely set.
- Once set, you can feel many ice pieces formed inside the ice cream.
- Beat the ice cream again using a beater or mixer jar.
- After beating, the ice cream would be thick and creamy.
- Refrigerate the ice cream again until set.
- Take out, beat and refrigerate again and again until the ice cream turns completely creamy. I did twice and it just came out perfectly creamy.
- See the creamy ice cream which outstands with the natural colour.
- Without any delay, scoop out the ice cream to serving bowls.
- Garnish with Kesar, chopped pistachios, and black raisins.
- Cool yourself on the hot summer with this mouth-melting creamy Muskmelon ice cream.
- Scraping down the Malai from the sides of the pan is the crucial step in getting the perfectly creamy ice cream.
- After each time of beating and refrigerating the ice cream, the creamy ice cream would get even more creamy. So, don't rush up. Beat more time and be patient to get the creamier Muskmelon Ice cream.
Creamier! Tastier! Healthier!