Pumpkin Kheer | 'No Ghee' 10-minute dessert recipe | Dasara Special
Pumpkin is a beautiful vegetable with bright yellow colour and a hint of sweet taste. Pumpkin Kheer- an ultra-delicious, creamy kheer prepared with pumpkin as the base.
I make sweets often and if any guests are arriving, sweet is what the main thing I love to present in front of them. Also, I do it with what I have in my pantry. There born the Pumpkin Kheer idea when I have a beautiful piece of pumpkin left unattended in my fridge. This pumpkin kheer recipe never failed to wonder my guests as it is super easy-to-make and ultra-delicious to taste.
Thereupon, Pumpkin Kheer got added to my often-made recipe list. I usually sweeten the Pumpkin kheer with jaggery as Pumpkin and Jaggery pairs very well. But the thing is, if the jaggery is dark in colour, it will change the beautiful natural yellow colour of the Pumpkin Kheer.
As I want to freeze the beautiful yellow colour of Pumpkin Kheer in my post, I use rock candy here. You could use jaggery which also excels in taste. One more point to add is, add in the chopped nuts earlier to the kheer which helps suck the flavour better from the kheer. Almonds and Pistachios should not be avoided to get the real kick from the Pumpkin Kheer.
As Dasara festival is coming, this easy dessert would be great to offer the God right? That's why I have chosen to post this recipe now. If you are looking for a similar recipe, I recommend checking my Wheat Milk Kheer post.
The pumpkin Kheer could be made even rich by grinding some soaked almonds along with the cooked pumpkin. As I make this in just 10 minutes, I don't make the steps complicated and at the same time, I don't let the taste steps down a bit. Try this once and you would be making it again and again as the taste lend by the Pumpkin kheer is just drool-worthy.
Which milk to use?
- Though evaporated milk works well for this recipe, I always use whole milk which never failed me.
- If you are lactose-intolerant, try healthy substitute like Almond milk which should work well for this Pumpkin Kheer.
- Coconut milk could also be used. If using coconut milk, add at the final stage.
For a cup of Pumpkin puree, the milk added should be double and the sweetener should be 1/3 cup to get the perfect Pumpkin Kheer. So, the pumpkin puree and the milk ratio should be 1:2. Likewise, the ratio of pumpkin puree and the sweetener should be 1:1/3 for the perfect taste of the Pumpkin Kheer.
An ultra-delicious, appetizing, creamy and healthy kheer made with Pumpkin and whole milk along with the dry fruits.
- Pumpkin - 1 slice
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Boiled whole milk - 2 cups (or Almond milk or Coconut milk)
- Rock candy - 1/3 cup (or Jaggery)
- Chopped nuts - 1/8 cup (cashews, almonds & pistachios)
- Cardamon powder - 1/4 tsp
- Saffron strands - a few (optional)
- Pressure cook roughly chopped pumpkin pieces along with some water for 2 to 3 whistles or until mushy.
- Grind the cooked pumpkin along with the water to a smooth puree.
- Add the ground puree to the pan.
- Add in the whole milk and bring to boil.
- Add in the chopped or sliced nuts, close with a lid and cook for 3 minutes.
- Flavour the Pumpkin kheer with cardamom powder and saffron strands.
- Serve hot or cold as both would be great to consume!
Step-by-Step Procedure with Pictures
How to Make?
- Take a slice of yellow pumpkin. The size which I show below is enough for making 3 cups of Pumpkin Kheer.
- Peel off the skin and cut into cubes. You could boil along with the skin and then remove it, in which case the skin will be easy to get removed.
- Add the pumpkin cubes to the pressure cooker and add a little water to it. I add about 1/4 cup of water.
- Pressure cook the Pumpkin for 2 to 3 whistles. Or you could cook them until mushy.
- Once the pressure got released, transfer the cooked pumpkin to the mixer jar.
- Grind to a fine smooth puree. Add along with the water in which the pumpkin is cooked.
- Pour the fine pumpkin puree to the pressure cooker. It measures about 1 cup.
- Add in the boiled milk, stir, and bring to boil.
- Bring the pumpkin puree + boiled milk mixture to boil.
- Add the rock candy and stir until it dissolves completely in the Pumpkin Kheer.
- Add the sliced cashews, almonds and pistachios to the Pumpkin Kheer. You could use any nuts but dare not skip almonds and pistachios since they taste great for this recipe.
- Close with a lid and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. The nuts are now getting cooked absorbing the flavours of the Kheer.
- Flavour the Pumpkin kheer with crushed cardamom pods or cardamom powder.
- Add a few saffron strands if you want. Saffron strands or Kesar enhances the flavour of the Pumpkin Kheer.
- Serve hot or cold. In both ways, this Pumpkin Kheer tastes very delicious.
Video for "Pumpkin Kheer"
- If using jaggery, make jaggery syrup and add the filtered jaggery syrup to the Pumpkin Kheer.
- Add the sliced almonds and pistachios earlier in the Kheer. They need to get half-cooked sucking the flavours of the Pumpkin Kheer which would make the bites of nuts heavenly while consuming the Kheer.
- Whole milk can be substituted with almond milk or coconut milk to make this Pumpkin Kheer a perfect vegan dessert.
- If you prepare for the kids, grind some dates along with the cooked puree and reduce the amount of jaggery as I do!
Easy-to-make, Delicious Dessert!
If you try this recipe, please take a snap & mention @packthesnack_ on Instagram.
I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment in the comment box below. 😇