Cough Candy | using Palm Candy | Effective for Sore throat, Cough & Cold
Stop buying cough candies from medical stores as I have the best homemade option for you. This candy is not like other candies which contain just ginger, lemon and honey. Usually, candies are made using white sugar. But, do you think that white sugar is the best option to go with? I think, no.
So, what would be the next option? Yup, Honey. Perhaps, honey could be the better option, for sure. But, the problem is, honey if heated in higher temperature for a long time would lose its best properties. I don't want to impair the benefits of honey while making cough candies.
Finally, my pick for making cough candies as an alternative for white sugar and honey is palm candy. With loads of good medicinal properties, Palm candy turns out to be the best option. So, my version of cough candy would be the package of loads of good stuff.
What's special in my version of Cough Candy?
- Cough candy with palm candy as the base is the special thing to reveal as palm candy plays a vital role in curing cough.
- Unlike usual cough candies made with just ginger, lemon and honey, my version plays around with Adhimadhuram/liquorice root, Sitharathai/lesser galangal root, Tulasi/holy basil leaves, black pepper, dry ginger root, fresh ginger root, lemon and honey.
Why honey should not be used as the base?
- Honey, when exposed to a higher temperature or when heating over the direct heat would lose its essential enzymes and nutrients.
- It's not the fact that honey should not be used. But, overheating would degrade the beneficial values of honey and hence, I prefer to skip this to be used as the base for my cough candies.
- Despite, honey is added at the end to conserve the beneficiary enzymes and nutrients.
Which is the right consistency to make cough candies?
- Softball consistency is what we want to firm up your candies.
- If the candy syrup hasn't reached the softball stage, the candies can't hold firmness and won't turn hard.
- If the syrup has crossed the softball stage, it may end up in the hardball stage which could make your syrup to go hard before you start to pour the syrup.
- How to seek the right consistency will be explained below in the recipe procedure.
Know how the herbal ingredients could heal you:
- The wholesome natural sweetener with a low glycemic index.
- High in potassium, iron, zinc, and other vital vitamins and minerals.
- It acts as the best healing medicine for cough and sore throat.
- Helps cure a sore throat.
- Holds good antiviral and anti-microbial properties.
- Helps in respiratory ailments such as asthma.
- Helps in curing severe and contiguous cough.
- Increases the immune cells as it contains several times the 'gingerol'(a spicy substance present in the ginger root!) than the fresh ginger.
- Appetite stimulator.
- Great medicine for cold.
- Reduces body temperature and cools you down.
- Soothes the sore throat.
- Induces appetite and helps in good digestion.
- Purifies the blood.
- Holds antibacterial property
- Helps heal cold and cough.
- Best healing medicine for sore throat.
- Holds antimicrobial property which fights against certain bacteria and virus.
- Great ayurvedic medicine that heals cough and sore throat when consumed raw.
- Good energy booster and natural sweetener.
- Rich in vitamin C and hence boost the immune system.
- Alleviate congested chest.
- Soothes the throat.
- Helps to heal from cold and flu.
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C and they reduce the intensity of cold and flu.
- It helps to strengthen the immune system.
So, the cough candy recipe which I'm posting here is the best thing to keep with you in an airtight container especially in the flu season which stays good for more than a month. Without any age difference, these cold candies can be consumed by anyone who suffers from sore throat, cold, cough or flu.
Apart from helping you with fast healing, these candies could boost your immunity level. Looking for some more Immunity boosting recipes?
Let's move on to the procedure of making easy and effective chewy cough candies with the natural sweetening agents and the best medicinal ingredients.
⌚ Preparation Time: 10 minutes
⌚ Cooking Time: 20 minutes
🍴 Yields: 35 to 40 cough candies
What to Use?
- Palm candy - 150g
- Water - 1 cup
- Fresh ginger root - 1 tbsp (grated)
- Dried holy basil leaves/ Tulsi leaves - 1 tbsp (powdered)
- Dry ginger root powder/ Sukku powder- 2 tbsp
- Liquorice root powder/ Adhimadhuram powder - 1 tbsp
- Lesser galangal root powder / Sitharathai powder - 2 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tbsp
Don't have ingredients with you? Don't worry. Get them from Amazon widget below!
Chewy candies made with Palm candy as the base along with other medicinal ingredients such as liquorice, galangal, ginger and many more to better heal the sore throat, cough and cold.
Cough Candy | using Palm Candy | Effective for Sore throat, Cough & Cold
Step-by-Step Procedure with Pictures
How to Make?
- In a saucepan, take a cup of water and keep it over the flaming burner.
- Add grated fresh ginger to the water.
- Add in the dried holy basil leaves powder/ Tulsi powder to the water.
- Add dried ginger powder to the water.
- Now, add Liquorice root powder / Adhimadhuram powder to the boiling water.
- Add Lesser galangal root powder / Sitharathai powder to the boiling water.
- It's time to add black pepper powder to the pan of water. Stir well to get the herbal ingredients mixed well with the water.
- Now, add Palm candy to the herbal water.
- Mix until the palm candy dissolves in the water completely. The syrup would be thick now with all the good stuff.
- Filter the candy syrup to another pan to get rid of the impurities present in the palm candy. Don't skip the step as doing so yields the smooth cough candies removing the chunky parts (if present) in the herbal ingredients.
- Bring the candy syrup to boil.
- Like jaggery syrup, it starts to show different stages while boiling.
- Stir occasionally and wait for the right candy consistency.
- Once the syrup starts to thicken a little, check for the right candy consistency.
- Pour the candy syrup to a bowl of water.
- If the syrup in the water can be gathered to form a softball using our hand, that is the right softball consistency which we want to make these cough candies. If the syrup can't be able to gather, you still have to wait for the right state. Stopping at this stage could fail to firm up your candies. If the syrup can be gathered but forms hardball, you may not be able to pour the syrup to the butter paper and it would get harden before you make candies.
- Once the softball consistency is reached, add the lime juice to it. This reduces the temperature to a little bit which prevents the syrup from going further to the next stage. Also, reducing temperature would be helpful to prevent the beneficiary enzymes present in the honey.
- Adding honey is the final step to do.
- Stir quickly and turn off the stove.
- In the butter paper, start pouring candy syrup, a teaspoon at a time forming circle-shaped candies keeping some distance between each of them to prevent from candy collision. Finish making candies before the candy syrup cools down or else you may be in trouble pouring them to the butter paper (it will start to thicken).
- Keep the candies undisturbed for about 10 minutes.
- It's time to remove the candies from the butter paper. Remove them carefully as they are firm but slightly sticky. Place them individually over the rice flour.
- Roll all the cough candies separately in the rice flour as such both sides are covered and non-sticky when touched.
- Transfer all the 35 to 40 cough candies to some clean air-tight container.
- Have the candies whenever needed which would be ready to heal you for a month or more.
- Don't skip filtering the syrup before bringing the syrup to boil.
- The residue which we get during the filtering process need not be discarded as we can boil the residue in a cup of water to make herbal tea!
- Stop at the right candy consistency (softball consistency!) to get your candies turns out perfectly right.
- Before rolling in the rice flour, keep the cough candies separated as they tend to glue with each other.
- Powdered sugar could be used instead of rice flour (but, I don't prefer!).
- Rush up while pouring (finish before the syrup cools down!) but try to make collision-free circle-shaped candies.
- If the cough candies seem like not firming up even after 10 minutes, try placing it in the fridge for 5 minutes.
Effective Candies to heal from Cough, Cold & Sore Throat!
Hope you find my recipes useful! Try the recipes and let me know through comments.
I would love to hear back from you.
Subscribe to get notified of my new interesting posts!
Don't forget to Share as your near & dear may find my recipes useful!