Cabbage Chicken Roll
Cabbage chicken roll is an oil-free steam-cooked roll suitable for all age groups. Vegetarian readers could be able to easily change this recipe to cabbage paneer roll by substituting chicken with paneer. Paneer gives an awesome taste with less cooking time.
I take boneless chicken pieces today for the masala making. Minced chicken works great for this recipe. The process is a little bit longer with patience killing marination time and cooking time. But the taste we get is really what we reap for the precious time sowed in the making process of the rolls.
Cabbage roll goes great with Mayonnaise dip. See Homemade Mayonnaise recipe to do on your own.
These rolls could be served with lime soaked veggies (carrot, beets, and green chillies). The coriander-mint dip would also pair very well with these healthy rolls.
⏲Preparation Time: 10 minutes
⏲Marination Time: 2 hours + 10 minutes
⏲Cooking Time: 10 + 30 minutes
🍴Yields: 7 to 8 rolls
What to Use?
For Chicken Marination:
- Minced chicken - 250 g
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Minced Garlic - 1 tsp
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Yoghurt - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Homemade Mayonnaise - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Coriander leaves
For Making Cabbage Rolls:
- Cabbage - 1
- Marinated chicken
Get Ingredients from Amazon:
How to Make?
1) For Chicken Marination:
- Add lime juice and salt to the minced chicken and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, garam masala, yoghurt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and cumin seeds powder to the chicken and mix well.
- Keep the marinated chicken undisturbed for at least 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, add 2 tablespoons of Mayonnaise (optional) and a handful of chopped coriander leaves to the marinated chicken and mix well.
- Chicken masala is ready to get rolled.
2) For Making Cabbage Rolls:
- Take an idly pan, fill the pan with 1/4th water and add a little salt to it.
- Cut the center core of cabbage to some extent which helps us to segregate the cabbage leaves with less effort.
- Place the cabbage inside the pan and let it cook for 10 minutes covered with a lid.
- After cooking the cabbage, take it carefully outside and start working on segregating the cabbage leaves.
- Cut the cabbage core intensely and peel off the leaves one after the other ( careful! Not to tear up the leaves) as they are the envelope in which the chicken is to get wrapped.
- Cut the hard vein running at the centre of each leaf to make it convenient for us to roll.
- Cut off the edges and make the leaves a perfect envelope for rolling.
- Place some chicken masala inside each leaf and start rolling in such a way to cover the chicken masala completely.
- Steam cook the cabbage chicken rolls for about 25 to 30 minutes on a medium flame.
- Serve the oil-free cabbage rolls hot with any dip of your desire.
- Addition of Mayonnaise to the chicken is an optional step. You find not any great difference in the end product taste even if you skip it.
- Do try this recipe with paneer if you do for the kids.
Check the below video for detailed procedure.
Get more Recipes from our YouTube Channel
Oil-free, Flavorsome & Healthy rolls!
Just give a try! Don't forget returning back to post your valuable comments.